How to make a Banana Cream Pie.
Ingredients: Makes 8 Slices
FOR THE CRUST:
- 65 vanilla wafer cookies
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar firmly packed
- 7 Tablespoons salted butter melted
FOR THE BANANA CREAM PIE FILLING:
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150g)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups milk (355ml)
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (355ml)
- 3 Tablespoons butter cut into pieces (softened)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
FOR THE HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM:
- ¾ cup heavy cream very cold (175ml)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (30g)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (175C).
- Place wafer cookies in the basin of a food processor and pulse until mixture is nothing but crumbs.
- Add brown sugar and pulse until combined.
- Add crumbs to melted butter (in a medium/large bowl) and stir until mixture is evenly combined and crumbs are moistened.
- Transfer crumbs to a 9 ½” pie plate and use the clean bottom of a measuring cup to tap the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate to form the crust.
- Transfer to 350F (175C) oven and bake for 13 minutes.
- Prepare your banana cream pie filling while your pie crust cools completely.
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-sized, heavy duty saucepan until combined.
- Add egg yolks, milk, and heavy cream and whisk until all ingredients are combined.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and use a whisk to stir constantly until the mixture comes to a simmer/begins to bubble (this can take 10 minutes or so, do not crank the heat above medium or you can ruin your filling).
- Once simmering, continue to whisk constantly and allow to bubble for 1 minute.
- Once 1 minute has passed, immediately remove from heat and add butter, 1 Tbsp at a time, whisking until melted and combined after each addition.
- Whisk in vanilla extract.
- Pour banana cream pie filling through a fine mesh strainer into a large heatproof bowl.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic wrap is covering the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming) and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, pour half of pudding mixture into your prepared pie crust and spread evenly.
- Slice 2 bananas and dip each slice in lemon or lime juice.
- Gently pat dry and place bananas in an even layer over the first layer of pudding.
- Top banana slices with remaining pudding and smooth with spatula.
- Cover the surface of the pie with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator.
- Chill at least several hours.
- Once you are ready to serve (or several hour before serving), prepare whipped cream.
- Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl (preferably a metal bowl that you’ve chilled in the refrigerator or freezer for 10 minutes) and use an electric mixer to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Dollop or pipe whipped cream over chilled pie and slice and serve.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]