How to make Baked Cod and Tomato Sauce.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2
- 2 cod fillets
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 medium heat green chilli – deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons Pimentón de la Vera – Picante (hot)
- 2 teaspoons Pimentón de la Vera – Dulce (sweet)
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 170g jar drained weight, of chargrilled peppers in oil (well drained from the oil) and sliced
- 1 and a half tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- approx 200ml water
- a few black olives – pitted
- a pinch of dried red chilli flakes
Cooking the sauce:
- Heat up a little olive oil in a frying pan and add the diced onion.
- Cook over a low heat allowing the onions to soften but not browned.
- It will take about 15 minutes but you will need to stir them from time to time.
- Add in the chilli and garlic and allow it to cook for about 5 minutes before adding the tomato puree.
- Cook for a further minute or so otherwise tomato puree will taste bitter.
- Now add the hot and the sweet paprika along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the tin of tomatoes including their juice.
- Add the peppers.
- Add the sherry or red wine vinegar along with the sugar and stir well.
- Add the water a little at a time, until the sauce is a nice consistency.
- Add the olives and cook until the sauce is nice and hot.
- Have a taste and add adjust the seasoning.
- You can also add a pinch of dried red chilli flakes if you like things spicier.
Cooking the cod:
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan) mark 7.
- Get yourself a dish just big enough to hold the fish and the sauce.
- Make sure the sauce is piping hot before adding it to the dish otherwise the fish will not cook properly and the whole dish will be cold.
- Put the cod into the sauce but don´t cover it.
- Drizzle the fish with a tiny amount of olive oil.
- Bake uncovered on the middle shelf of your preheated oven for about 12 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes when pressed.
- Serve straight away with boiled potatoes or whatever you fancy!
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.