How to make Bahamian Boiled Fish.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 2 lbs fish of your choice
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 oz bacon or salt pork
- Juice of 3
- 1 hot pepper, like scotch bonnet
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1.5 tsp dried
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
- Cut fish into large chunks and marinate with juice of 1-2 limes, plus 1-2 tsp hot sauce, depending on desired spice level.
- Cut bacon into 2 inch strips and fry until browned, but not crispy, in a 4-5 qt pot.
- Cut onions into rings and potatoes into 3/8 inch slices.
- In the same pot, layer fish, potatoes, thyme, chopped hot pepper, onions and bacon.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Fill the pot with water until potatoes are completely covered.
- Add the juice of 2-3 more limes.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until thepotatoes are cooked but still firm, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread and enjoy!