How to make Baby Chick Cupcakes.
INGREDIENTS: Makes 24
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
FOR THE VANILLA BUTTERCREAM AND DECORATIONS:
- 2 cups butter
- 8-10 cups icing sugar
- 2-4 Tablespoons cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Yellow gel food colouring
- 4-5 maraschino cherries or orange candies for beaks
- 48 mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a cupcake tray with your chosen liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- Place the two eggs in a separate bowl and beat for 30 seconds before slowly adding in the white sugar.
- Once the egg and white sugar mixture is light and fully beaten, beat in the vanilla and oil.
- Add half of the dry ingredients, mix completely, then add half of the buttermilk.
- Fill the muffin liners halfway full and bake 12-15 minutes and cool in the pan before removing to a cooling rack.
For the buttercream frosting:
- Combine the butter, sugar, 2 Tablespoons of cream and the vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix for 2 minutes and adjust the consistency with the addition of more sugar or cream.
- Dye the buttercream yellow with a small amount of yellow gel colouring.
- Place the coconut in a second small bowl and dye to the same colour with the yellow dye.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag and cut off the tip to be at least 1″ wide.
- Pipe a big dollop of frosting in the middle of the cupcake, and then smooth it down into a dome shape using an offset spatula dipped in water.
- Roll the cupcakes in the dyed coconut to imply feathers.
- Add candy eyes and a candy nose – in this case, a small piece of candied cherry.
- Repeat for all remaining cupcakes.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.