How to make an Apple and Quinoa Flan.
Ingredients: Serves 6
- ⅓ cup quinoa
- 1 Granny Smith apple or any other acidic apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ cups water + 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can unsweetened evaporated milk
- ½ can of the cooking liquid from the quinoa
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cook quinoa with apple, cinnamon stick, and 1 ½ cup water, over medium heat for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Reserve and let it cool.
- Strain, reserving the cooking liquid, and measure 1 cup of quinoa with apples.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a saucepan put sugar with 2 tablespoons water, and cook over high heat until lightly golden.
- Do not let it take too much colour because it turns bitter.
- Turn off the heat and pour a small amount of caramel in six ramekins, or one round cake pan.
- Be careful because this caramel is extremely hot and may cause bad burns in the skin.
- In the blender process quinoa, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, unsweetened evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, and ½ can of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Pour in the ramekins and accommodate all in a large baking pan, with at least two inches rim, because we are adding one-inch hot water, so the flans can bake in a water bath.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, take out the flans, and let them cool at room temperature.
- Then put them in the fridge and let them rest overnight.
- Unmold, garnish with whipped cream, fruits, and mint leaves, and then serve.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.