How to make an Acadian Seafood Risotto.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
FOR THE RISOTTO:
- ½ lb Nordic shrimp
- Meat of 1 Nordic crab or 1 Nordic crab, cut into pieces
- Meat of 1 small lobster, diced
- 1 pinch of saffron
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp Cajun spices, ground
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stem, finely chopped
- ½ green Bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 Tbsp Cajun spices, ground
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 – 5 cups seafood stock
- 1 bouquet scallions, slivered (white and green sections separated)
- ¼ lb cold, sweet butter, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
FOR THE STOCK:
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stem, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tomato or 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups lobster/shrimp/crab shells
TO MAKE THE STOCK:
- Place vegetables and spices in a large pan on medium heat.
- Sauté for a few minutes allowing them to sweat.
- Add the shells and sauté 5 more minutes.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock.
- Discard the shells.
TO MAKE THE RISOTTO:
- Place the saffron in a small glass then add 2 oz boiling water.
- Set aside.
- Pour the stock into a pan and maintain at a constant, low boil to eventually gradually add while cooking the rice.
- Place a large pan on high heat.
- Pour in the oil then add seafood, chopped garlic and ground Cajun spices.
- Sauté lightly for 2 – 3 minutes, mixing often.
- Remove the seafood with a slotted spoon, allowing the oil and jus to remain in the pan.
- Place the seafood on a plate to cool.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the onion, celery and Bell pepper to the pan with a little oil if necessary.
- Sauté for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add the rice and ground Cajun spices.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and incorporate the wine, saffron along with its infusion.
- Mix and allow all the liquids to be absorbed.
- Add a ladle of boiling stock and mix constantly until ¾ of the liquid is absorbed.
- If necessary, adjust the heat to bring to a medium boil.
- Repeat, adding boiling stock from time to time so that the rice neither dries nor drowns.
- Continue cooking, mixing constantly to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until the rice is al dente.
- Precisely 21 minutes after incorporating the liquids.
- Incorporate the reserved seafood.
- Mix for one minute.
- Remove from the heat, add the white scallions and cold butter, stirring constantly until the butter melts.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve garnished with green scallions.
Please help my blog grow by sharing this post with your friends & family.